Thursday, June 19, 2014

Magazine Mola

 

  Aren't these fun?  In art class, we used construction paper to make paper molas inspired by Central America's mola art using thread on fabric.  These pieces of art are beautiful.....bright, colorful, inspired by nature.  I don't think my thread on fabric mola would turn very good though.  However, paper molas, well they still look awesome, just easier.


    Last night my family decided to make collages.  Thinking of the idea of my recent paper mola, I got an idea to incorporate the magazines.  Instead of all construction paper with less of a detail, I used a magazine cutout of purple flowers as my top layer.  

     Can't find a magazine clipping that would work and you like?  Draw your own on a piece of paper in place of the magazine clipping.  

    Alrighty, enough with the words....Let's get crafting! 

Scraps of paper, old magazines, scissors, glue, and construction paper.

Flip through the pages of old magazines, catalogs, etc.  Once you find a picture you really like, cut it out.  Try to cut along the edges as much as possible, as you want this layer to be very detailed.

Dot glue on the back of the clipping.  
Glue to a scrap of paper(or a full sheet if you don't have large enough scraps).  This scrap paper will end up being your second layer. 

Trim, trim, trim!  Cut a little away from the edges of the clipping, letting the scrap paper give a little border.  Don't cut with as much detail.  
Glue to other scrap, trim leaving border, repeat.  

Glue to final, full sheet of paper.

Cut out shapes using scraps.
Glue around the shape.

There you go!  

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much! I love to read comments. I will get back to you as soon as possible.